A good cover letter can get you the job, but a lousy one can lose you the job. The key is to proofread your letter numerous times and make sure it is free from these common mistakes:
- Send a generic cover letter to many different companies. You may not love the idea of composing a unique cover letter for each job you apply to, but it’s worth it. A hiring manager can immediately recognizes a stock cover letter that you’ve mass-distributed to every place in town, and your cover letter is most likely to be put in the trash. Personalize your letter! Research on the company and write a cover letter that’s specific to the job and company you’re applying to.
- Send an unclean cover letter. Have we not told you enough times to proofread, proofread, and proofread your cover letter before sending it? Hiring managers are quickly turned off by typos, misspellings, incorrect grammar or punctuation, smudges, or even worse: grease from yesterday’s lunch.
- Waste your first paragraph by writing a boring introduction. The first paragraph of a cover letter is the “prime estate”, so be wise and use it to grab the employer’s attention. In the first paragraph, give the employer the reasons you are qualified for the position so s/he would read the rest of your letter.
- Reiterate your resume in your cover letter. Your cover letter is meant to complement your resume—not repeat it. So, it won’t do you much good if you simply take the best bullet points from your resume, repeat and rephrase them a bit in your cover letter. Use your cover letter to describe additional details that you weren’t able to squeeze onto the single page of your resume and tell the story of why you’re the perfect fit for the company.
- Use flowery language that takes up space. Hiring managers are not impressed by complicated, flowery language meant to sell yourself. Instead, it might distract him/her and blur your points. Use simple language and uncomplicated sentence structure, eliminate all unnecessary words and keep your letter well under a full page.
Take advantage of other people’s mistakes!
As many people are uninformed about these cover letter mistakes, you can turn it into your advantage by submitting a unique cover letter that goes beyond “the art of copying and pasting”, which truly displays that you are the perfect fit for the company.
At Style Resumes, we provide the best cover letter services as we have been specializing in this industry for many years. We will craft a perfect cover letter that represents you and showing the best of you.
Stop worrying about whether you will get that interview, start worrying about what to wear on the first day of your job instead!