Finding a job is getting harder these days; thus you need to plan and strategize if you want to get your dream job. Here are 12 tips to get your dream job:
1. Get the required skills. The honest truth is employers are looking for the person with the skill needed for the job. Therefore ask yourself, do I have the required skills? If no, then go get the skills.
2. Get the right qualifications. Many unemployed graduates go about with the same level of qualification with the other. Get ahead, get more professional exams, learn what’s new about your career, get into it and if possible get certified on it.
3. Get some working experience to boost your confidence and resume. Employers mostly prefer to recruit people with sufficient experience in the field. If you are yet to have any working experience, as you seek your desired job you can also find something doing in other to gain some experience. Although it may have a low pay, but the experience gained will build your confidence and will reflect in your resume. Another good idea is to volunteer in an organization that supports cause that it close to your heart.
4. Top up your education if you can afford it. Does your dream job require a Masters degree, yet you do not have one? Consider going back to school to give yourself an extra advantage.
5. Get yourself found. Getting found by employers is an important thing you must do. It goes beyond submitting resume for interviews. If you have something to showcase for your intellectual work or talent, you can forward it to employers or display it through other known medium. This is expected to give a good impression yielding a contract, part-time or full-time job as desired.
6. Always present yourself well. The way you present yourself will give an impression about you, and a good presentation will produce a good impression. Even if you are certain or closer to having the job, you should never give up on having a good presentation. You can never tell what could make the difference, as you know there are lots of people competing for the job. Presentation involves how you package your resume, your physical appearance (including your mode of dressing) and so on, basically whatever it is that represents you. It doesn’t mean you should be extreme but not taking things for granted.
7. Be honest on your resume. Never lie on your resume. Lying to gain the attention of the employer, to impress or to meet the requirement for the job will not do you any good because you can be exposed at any time. Employers can find out and that’s just the end for the job. You might even be handed over to the right authorities.
8. Know what’s on your resume and be able to defend it. It will be silly for example to be asked what year did you finish your secondary education and you cannot give a correct answer, whereas it is clearly stated on your resume. You need to know all that is stated on your resume and rightly defend them.
9. Be Punctual. Whenever you have an appointment with employers, you should be there on time. Punctuality shows your level of seriousness, how well an employer can trust you and how responsible you are. You have a chance to show an employer how serious you are about the job by being punctual, don’t blow it away.
10. Follow Instructions. Countries with high rate of unemployment imply there will be more people competing for a job than normal. So employers might use the slightest carelessness of job seekers to disqualify them for the job. Therefore pay attention to details and follow instructions.
11. Show why you are the right man for the job. Remember, employers are always looking for someone who is right for the job- someone who will deliver. If you believe you are the one and you want this job, prove it to the employer by showing your competence, talent, skills and experience. You can also be creative when applying this. If you have something to show for it, you can showcase or present it for employers to see.
12. Get a professional, eye-catching resume. When you are looking for job, your resume and cover letter are your most powerful weapons to score that dream job of yours. Most people think that writing resume and cover letter is an easy job. However, more often than not, they are wrong. They end up submitting a messy and unimpressive resume which is quickly thrown into the trash bin.
Don’t let your resume and cover letter get treated like that! At Style Resumes, we know what we’re doing. We’ve helped thousands of job seekers get their dream job by giving them an impressive resume and cover letter that made employers feel in love with them. Get in touch with us and let’s craft that perfect resume!